The Prefontaine Classic is the longest-running outdoor invitational track & field meet in America and is part of the IAAF Diamond League of meets held worldwide annually. This years meet will be held May 26th & 27th at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon.
2017 Women's 3K Steeplechase Start List with personal best times below:
- Courtney Frerichs (USA) 9:20.92
- Ruth Jebet (Bahrain) 8:52.78
- Emma Coburn (USA) 9:07.63
- Beatrice Chepkoech (Kenya) 9:10.86
- Gesa-Felicitas Krause (Germany) 9:15.70
- Stephanie Garcia (USA) 9:19.48
- Caroline Tuigong (Kenya) 9:28.81
- Celliphine Chepteek Chespol (Kenya) 9:05.70
- Purity Kirui (Kenya) 9:17.74
- Genevieve Lalonde (Canada) 9:30.24
- Mel Lawrence (USA) 9:36.35
What is the Diamond League?
The IAAF Diamond League encompasses 32 Diamond disciplines, following a championship style model. Athletes earn points at qualification meets to qualify for the final of their event.
Each of the disciplines is staged six or four times before the Final. At each of the 12 qualification meetings, Athletes are awarded 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 or 1 points for ranking 1st to 8th respectively. The top 8 or 12 Athletes (depending on the discipline) will be awarded a start at the Final. In case of a tie, the best legal performance of the qualification phase wins.
The winner at the Final of each Diamond Discipline will become "IAAF Diamond League Champion".
This year the Women's 3K steeplechase is not a "Diamond Race" so there will not be any points awarded at the Prefontaine Classic.